Member Rights and Responsibilities
- Considerate, courteous, and dignified treatment by all participating providers without regard to race, religion, gender, national origin, or disability and a reasonable response to a request for services, evaluation and/or referral for specialty care.
- Receive information about AvMed Health Plans, our products and services, our contracted practitioners and providers, and members' rights and responsibilities.
- Be informed of the health services covered and available to them or excluded from coverage, including a clear explanation of how to obtain services and applicable charges.
- Access quality care, receive preventive health services and know the identity and professional status of individuals providing services to them.
- The confidentiality of information about their medical health condition being maintained by the Plan and the right to approve or refuse the release of member specific information including medical records, by AvMed, except when the release is required by law.
- Participate in decisions involving their health care and to give informed consent for any procedure after receiving information about risk, length of inactivity, and choices of alternative treatment plans available regardless of cost or benefit coverage.
- To refuse medical treatment, including treatment considered experimental, and to be informed of the medical consequences of this decision.
- Have available and reasonable access to service during regular hours and to after-hours and emergency coverage, including how to obtain out-of-area coverage.
- A second opinion from another participating physician or non-participating consultant in the AvMed Health Plans’ service area.*
- Know about any transfer to another hospital, including information about why the transfer is necessary and any alternatives available.
- Be fully informed of the complaint and grievance processes and use them without fear of interruption of health services.
- To make recommendations regarding the Plan’s members’ rights and responsibilities policies.
- Written notice of any termination or change in benefits, services or the member's providers.
* A portion of the cost of a non-participating consultant will be the responsibility of the member. This benefit includes consultation only and does not guarantee continued care with consulting provider.
Members have the responsibility to:
- Choose an AvMed participating Primary Care Physician and establish themselves with this physician.**
- Become knowledgeable about their health plan coverage including covered benefits, limitations and exclusions, procedures regarding use of participating providers and referrals.
- Take part in improving their health by maximizing healthy habits.
- Supply information (to the extent possible) that the organization and its practitioners and providers need in order to provide care.
- Ask any questions and seek any clarification necessary to adequately understand their illness and/or treatment. Follow the recommended and mutually agreed upon treatment plan.
- Keep appointments reliably, and promptly notify the provider when unable to do so.
- Fulfill financial obligations for receiving care, as required by their health plan agreement, in a timely manner.
- Show a consideration and respect to providers and provider staff.
**Certain AvMed Plans do not require that you choose a Primary Care Physician. However, AvMed encourages all members to establish a relationship with a Primary Care Physician, to help coordinate your care.
AvMed Medicare is an HMO plan with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in AvMed Medicare depends on contract renewal.
Address: 9400 S. Dadeland Blvd. Miami, FL 33156
Prospective Members: 888-492-8633 (TTY 711)
Current Members: 800-782-8633 (TTY 711)
October 1–March 31, 8 am-8 pm, 7 days a week.
April 1–September 30, 8 am-8 pm, Monday-Friday; 9 am- 1pm on Saturday.
H1016_AD832-092018. Last updated September 30, 2018.